120 Hour TEFL Course Review from WOWcher

Wow! Again I know we haven't posted for ages.. We're just so busy trying to prep to go back to uni (fun I know!). Apologies guys... But I thought I'd update you on what I've been up to! :)

Usually, seeing as our blog is food and fashion based, I don't really blog about something educational. Zzzzz... I know! But interestingly, I came across a really good deal on the voucher website Wowcher.com which allowed me to redeem a 120 TEFL Course for just £49.00!

TEFL Certificate from WOWcher



What is TEFL?
TEFL simply translates to Teaching English as a Foreign Language, thus enabling those who are interested in teaching and are fluent in English are able to teach those who either want to learn English as a second language, or as part of an educational course. With the emergence of job opportunities here in England and abroad, the necessity of communicating in English has somewhat become compulsory. And, as I am already a trainee teacher undergoing my undergraduate degree, I thought adding this unique qualification to my existing teaching qualifications would be ideal for when applying to teaching posts.

The course itself...
There are many institutes across England as well as online that hold the TEFL accreditation. The course that I had purchased had been with TEFL UK, that is sponsored as well as accredited by the the University of Salford, Manchester as well as the I.T.A (International Teaching Accreditation). Upon reading this before purchasing the voucher, I had ensured that the course itself was legit.

Usually, the 120 Hour Interactive TEFL Course by TEFL UK is purchased at the price of £349.00. So by using the Wowcher website, I had saved myself £300.00! The course consists of thirteen small modules, which you are able to browse freely at any time with secure login details. Whilst conducting the course, you can learn at your own pace in your own time as there is a completion period of 365 days (giving you PLENTY of time to complete the thirteen modules!).

The modules as well as their completion was pretty straight forward. The modules were further broken down into units, which then you were given multiple choice questions to test yourself on. At the end of completing all the units, the end of module test had been unlocked which then you are able to take. For all tests, which consist of multiple choice questions, there is a pass mark which is usually 80%. And if unsuccessful, you have 3 attempts to complete the test successfully, so you're guaranteed to pass all modules. Within the modules, there were also video lessons. These consisted of examples, methods and strategies used for teaching adults as well as children that are not fluent in English. And once you've completed all the modules as well as passed the tests, you're presented with a certificated qualification that you're to print at home if need be.

Within the thirteen modules, not only were the areas of teaching strategies, lesson planning as well as the handling of students covered, but the importance of vocabulary, grammar and skills such as reading, writing, speaking and listening were also covered. This, in my opinion, gave the course a good variety, which kept me intrigued throughout each module, leaving me wanting to learn more. As well as this, written examples and illustrations were also given to further my understanding. Personally, to aide me throughout the course, I made sufficient notes that not only came in handy when taking the end of module tests, but furthered my knowledge and understanding of the areas and skills covered within the module.

Overall...
So, I saved £300 and came out with a relevant qualification to my teaching degree.. Pretty awesome right? And overall, I enjoyed completing this course over my summer holidays. Not only did it save me from boredom during the holidays... (when I didn't get a chance to see Ash haha) but it also provided me with new strategies, methods and training that I could use when I complete my degree. So, it's worth signing up to such voucher websites such as Wowcher and Groupon. Although, saying this, you may be prone to getting spammed with several emails daily in regards to the current offers.. I have to say that is the only downside of such websites with several offers!

If you have any questions about this qualification or even other similar courses, don't hesitate to leave a comment below. Or if you've completed a course or redeemed a voucher similar to this, please let me know how you got on by commenting below also.. I would love to here from you!

M x

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting this up! I found my way here googling about Wowcher courses, I was wanting to findout if it was as good as if I was paying the extra £470 :o! It's surprising how difficult it is to find reviews of their courses, they are always the things that attract my attention on the emails they keep sending. So thankyou! :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this is actually really useful! I'm heading out to China later this year and I have done an AET adult teaching course (similar to the PTTLS) and a TA course specifically for children (I'm just assuming you have heard of these as you mentioned you were undergoing a teaching degree). I found a deal on Amazon Local for this exact same company TEFL UK so I wanted to look at some reviews. Its £29 for the 150 hour course instead of £400, I'm guessing you would say it's worth it? But what about in relation to going over to teach English in China? they don't require a degree over there, but do you recon it's a good enough course for this purpose in combination with my other teaching courses?

    Also, on the website it says something about paying £20 if you want a printed certificate, is that worth it or did you literally just print it yourself and it doesn't make a difference?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys these courses are rubbish ... I just signed up to one for 30£ ... they are always on discount and the 150 hour course I've finished in less than 5hours of effort. I did have some useful information but that's about it. ... I don't think you really need this to teach in china and maybe it'll convince some employers ... but for anything serious I suggest going for a CELTA course (this is cambridge approved and face-to face with teaching practice) ... but of-course this costs about 1000£.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. I read your post. This is very informative. Thanks for sharing information about 120 hour tefl course.

    ReplyDelete